Make / Model: BMW X5 (E53)
Years Covered: 1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006
Module Programming: $100 one time fee.
Transponder Keys: $50 per key.
Remote/Fobik Keys: $75 per rke/fob.
Difficulty Scale: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Target Module: EWS Module
Key Cutting: Door Lock
- If your year is '06, Please make sure your model is in the E53 family and not the E70 (05-13).
- When loosening the door lock set screw it does not generally come out but keep a hand on it just in case it does so it does not fall into the door.
- EWS Location in the picture below is its general location. It may vary slightly between the models. Many X5's it will be on the side.
Lock Removal Instructions:
- Tools needed: T20/T25 Driver
- Open door and check the side around the handle area. Remove either a black plastic cover or pull the rubber cover away to reveal the set screw holding the lock cylinder in place.
- With set screw fully loosened, pull the lock cylinder out. You will need to wiggle on it to get it out.
Module Removal Instructions:
- Disconnect the cars battery, Usually you will need a 10mm socket/wrench for this.
- Tools needed: Phillips Screwdriver/T15 Driver, 10mm/8mm socket
- Remove shroud cover under steering column. There are three screws underneath holding it in place.
- Locate the white EWS box and unhook its wire harness.
- Remove the two 8 or 10mm plastic nuts holding it in place.