Make / Model: BMW 3 Series (E36)
Years Covered: 1998,1999
Module Programming: $100 one time fee.
Transponder Keys: $50 per key.
Remote/Fobik Keys: $75 per rke/fob.
Difficulty Scale: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Target Module: EWS3 Module
Key Cutting: Trunk Lock
- If your year is '99, Please make sure your model is in the E36 family and not the E46 (99-05).
- EWS Location in the picture below is its general location. It may vary slightly between the models.
Lock Removal Instructions:
- Tools needed: 10mm Deep socket, Screwdriver
- Open trunk and remove trunk paneling around the back of the lock area. It helps to remove the whole thing.
- Disconnect the lock linkage from tail piece from lock cylinder.
- Remove two 10mm nuts holding lock cylinder in place.
- Remove electronic sensor by lifting off the metal clip.
Module Removal Instructions:
- Disconnect the cars battery, Usually you will need a 10mm socket/wrench for this.
- Tools needed: Phillips Screwdriver/T15 Driver, 10mm/8mm socket
- Remove shroud cover under steering column. There are three screws underneath holding it in place.
- Locate the white EWS box and unhook its wire harness.
- Remove the two 8 or 10mm plastic nuts holding it in place.